Fava Bean Mash on Toast
Updated: May 25, 2021
Serves 2 - 4 for a light lunch or as an appetizer
1lb. 450g fava beans shelled from their pods and then peeled
1 minced clove of garlic (optional)
1/2 cup. 50g of freshly grated parmesan or pecorino
1/4 cup. 25g of extra virgin olive oil
Juice of lemons
2 sprigs of fresh mint roughly chopped
2 sprigs of fresh basil roughly chopped
Reserve 1 tablespoon for sprinkling on top
Flaky sea salt (We like Maldon salt)
Freshly ground back pepper
2 or 4 slices of sourdough bread
1. Remove the fava beans from their pods, and then peel the outer skin of the bean (this can take a bit of time, I find it quite relaxing to listen to a podcast while I'm doing this. or employ your children to do this).
2. In a food processor, add the peeled fava beans, and minced garlic if using. Pulse for 3-5 times until you have up a coarse mash. Transfer the mash into a medium size bowl.
3. Stir in the freshly grated parmesan or pecorino into the mash mix 2-3 times to incorporate the cheese. add olive oil, mix again to incorporate.
4. Add lemon Juice, chopped mint and basil.
5.Season with 2 or 3 pinches of flaky sea salt and a couple of twists of black pepper.
6. Meanwhile toast the sourdough in a toaster or on a griddle to get a little char, spread fava bean mash on the toast and cut in half sprinkle a little chopped mint and basil on top and enjoy.